100% KATOLIKONG PINOY! BLOG
Abangan... magsusulat ulit tayo!

Pages

Sunday, April 12, 2009

"Tagbo" In Visayan, "Salubong" In Tagalog (Easter Sunday)

I am still awake in the wee hours of Easter Sunday. My sister and I are working out on our bunso's angel's wings. I didn't bring my cellphone when I went to Dipolog the former day and now we are taking the effort of making a pair of wings. Luckily, me and my sister are both artistic(duh) and we had smoothly accomplished the job at 1:00 early hour, Easter.

Waking up at 3:00 at dawn seems so instant to me. I never felt heavy or pinned down the bed. In fact, I felt very light and I jumped out of the bed right away to prepare myself. My brother must be awoken, too. He must try on the pair of wings me and my sister made in order to see what will be the result.

As I had expected, the wings are too feeble. So we worked on something this and that. it was exactly 3:30 when we headed for the place for the Tagbo. Tagbo is Visayan for Salubong, and is Tagalog for Encounter. Encuentro is the Spanish term of it.

Photobucket
Photobucket
My little brother is the boy that you will immediately see in the foreground


The set-up for the Tagbo is in front of the town's public market. When we arrived, people are already filling up the place. Some are present to witness the Tagbo with faith and others with curiosity. My little brother mixed with the other angels and waited for the carozza of the Mater Dolorosa and the Risen Christ.


Gentle-natured, my little brother waits with the other angels for the coming of the two carozzas

I decided to leave the place to look for the two carozzas. Meeting people on the way, they told me that the carozzas had started to move. I was momentarily undecisive. Unto what symbol will I join, to the sorrowful mother of to the risen Christ? In times past I often go with the sorrowful mother. Suddenly it dawned on me that I should go with the risen Christ this time.




Catching up with the risen Christ procession has been very easy. By the time I tracked the dark street where the carozza will suppose to pass, I saw candles at a distance. Suddenly, drops of rain begins to invade the area while I hurried closer to the procession.

Photobucket
Photobucket

The priest, altar knights, the seminarians, apostles and all who joined the Risen Christ caravan is undeterred even if the rain seems to get harder and harder in every step onward. It was Easter. The rain is no big deal to stop the tradition and the commemoration of Christ's victory over death.

And at the arrival of the carozza to the meeting place, the rain suddenly stopped. Perfect timing of God, I believe.





The Mater Dolorosa was led by some altar boys, women and some of the apostles, too.




It is a breathtaking moment when two parts of a whole is reunited to each other, especially when it is past stressful times. The black veil that the Mater Dolorosa statue wears is a sign of grief for the mother. And in their encounter, the black veil was being taken away by an angel:


Photobucket

A white veil was replaced, symbolizing pure joy. What more joy can a mother feel than to see her child in safety and peace? This tradition enriches the catholic attitude of loving holy moments, admiring the virtues of holy people acquainted with our Lord, the hope of restoration after life's storms, or even life itself.

The angel that replaces the black veil with a white veil had sung the "Regina Coeli." It is a song that invites the Blessed Virgin Mary to rejoice for Christ has been faithful to his promises.






3 comments:

  1. very nice...i love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be a choir member way back the 80's & 90"s in our church sa Marikina. Kaya I miss this salubong. Nag aantay sa madaling araw sa pag salubong ng Mahal na Ina at ng Anak.


    Nice Post Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ^_^ Heheheh, I am very grateful for you two to be here.

    ReplyDelete