100% KATOLIKONG PINOY! BLOG
Abangan... magsusulat ulit tayo!

Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Gloomy Mother's Day

By Francis Raymund Gonzales
May 10, 2009





It was Saturday, May 2. I received a phone call from my mom. She was worried of me. She said cops arrived in our house at our hometown looking for my grandfather. The police disclosed them of an accident that happened in a nearby barangay. Coincidentally, I was expected to go home at that time. But in the last minute I changed my mind and decided to cancel my homecoming until Monday. She felt relieved upon my answering the call, meaning that I was a-okay.

An hour later, she messaged me of what had happened. The ones who were ill-fated are the parents of my aunt, the wife of my mother's brother. Her mother had died instantly, due to the grave damage to her head, and her father was seriously injured. I was shocked by the news. I felt my whole body invaded by goosebumps.

Manang Alberta, as I would call her, is a happy-go-lucky soul. She had no problems dealing with us, the family of her son-in-law. In every fiesta or in any celebration, she would usually be there. She is a familiar face to us. Being the Lola (grandma) of my two small cousin, she had been the one taking care of them and they fondly call their grandmother, "Mama-lo" (a shortened version of "Mama-Lola")

She's been taking care of her family's sari-sari store in her howetown in Brgy. Sinaman, Dipolog City. My aunt would usually call her up when she's needing some help on the kids. Nobody expected her to die so soon for she is still vigorous in anything. She died in the age of 50.

My deep condolences to my aunt, to the husband who survived her and to the rest of the family. It was hard for a family to lose the light that once had been the family's delight, especially in this Mother's Day season. It is a great loss, it feels that someone had lost half of his or her life in the passing of a mother. Eternal rest, grant upon Alberta, O Lord.



Motherhood is priced
Of God, at price no man may dare
To lessen or misunderstand.
~Helen Hunt Jackson




Alberta Gerodias
Sept 14, 1958 - May 2, 2009

1 comment:

  1. and let Your perpetual lisght shine upon her, O Lord.. May she rest in Peace!

    ReplyDelete